By khateebs, for khateebs (and whoever wishes to benefit)
Ash-Shahqah- What does it mean?
Shahqah which occurs when listening to the Qur’an or other than it has many causes:
1. One could come across a verse that mentions a level that he has not attained and so as a result he finds peace and rest when reflecting over it, which then leads to shahqah. This is the shahqah of shawq (yearning).
2. One could come across a sin that he committed which results in shahqah out of fear and grief over one’s state. This is the shahqah of khasyah (fear).
3. One could come across a deficiency that one is not able to repel which results in a shahqah of huzn (grief.)
4. One could come across a description of the perfection of his beloved (Allah [swt]) and then sees the path to him blocked. This leads to the shahqah of asaf (sorrow) and grief.
5. It could be that his beloved has disappeared from his sight and he had busied himself with other than his beloved. Listening (to the Qur’an) then reminds him of his beloved and His beauty then becomes apparent to him. He then sees the doors opened for him and the path to him clear. This leads to the shahqah of farah (joy) and suroor (delight).
 A soft cry, a gasping inhaling, sighing.